As you may have guessed already….I have a thing for all things BLUE. It doesn’t matter what time of year it is….I still like a rib sticking warm breakfast that contains steel cut oats and lots of other nutricious goodies. Breakfast is probably my favorite meal. Why? Because I am always starving in the morning no matter what I have eaten the night before…..as a matter of fact….I’m usually hungry all day long so technically every meal is my favorite. On to the oats.
This is one of my favorite oatmeal recipes. It can be made “dairy-free” by using a milk substitute such as almond, rice, soy or coconut. I’m on the coconut bandwagon these days so I used it in this mix and it turned out really yummy. As far as I’m concerned this is one of the easiest, quick meals ever. You can dress it up or dress it down. Use your imagination for the toppings. My rule of thumb is this….throw on whatever you have lying around (there are exceptions of course).
- 1 cup steel cut oats or rolled oats, just don't use the quick cooking kind
- 1½ cups water - cold
- 1 cup 1 % milk, almond, rice, coconut is fine too
- 2 tbls ground flax seeds
- 2 tbls honey, maple syrup or agave
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- Dash of salt
- 2 tsps vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Add oats, water, milk, flax, honey or maple syrup , and 1 cup blueberries to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer until the oats have thickened and most of the berries have burst, turning the oatmeal purple, about 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and coconut. Divide mixture into bowls with remaining berries. Drizzle with additional milk. Add optional toppings if desired. Serve warm.