My colleague Eve’s birthday was this past weekend and I was hoping to bake a cake for her to bring to our work celebration. Time wasn’t on my side this past week so I dialed up my two favorite gals @bakedwithjoy to see if they would give me a “baking break” and come up with a very tall “naked cake” so I could work it with some floral styling.
Here’s what transpired and oh my gawd this cake was one of the best I have ever eaten. Light, fluffy layers of vanilla and chocolate coated with a smattering of vanilla buttercream icing. JUST PERFECT. Happy Birthday Eve!
Just in case you would like an amazingingly delish cake recipe that is easy and tastes like scratch here ya go:
TASTES LIKE SCRATCH BOXED CAKE RECIPE:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 2 layer cake
- 1 box cake mix, any flavor (I use yellow, white or chocolate)
- 1 box instant pudding, any flavor to match the cake (4 serving size)
- 4 eggs
- 1 c water or milk (I like using milk)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 c sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
- Select identical flavors of cake mix and instant-pudding mix, such as chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding. If you want a more complex cake flavor, select complementing cake and pudding mix flavors, such as yellow cake mix and lemon instant-pudding mix. I have literally done them all....the sky is the limit on being creative here. GO FOR IT.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the cake pans with nonstick cooking spray or butter. (Sometimes I flour my cake pans as well, but it's not necessary if you have a new good quality non stick baking pan) - I used two 9 inch round. You can use a bundt, a 9 X 13 or 8 inch round or square (just check the box for baking times)
- Combine the cake and pudding mixes with a spoon in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Add four eggs, 1 cup water or milk and ⅓ cup vegetable oil. If you wish to make a denser cake (similar to a pound cake) add 1 cup sour cream or yogurt.
- Beat all the ingredients until combined with an electric mixer on medium speed. The batter will be much thicker than regular cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased cake pan and bake it for according to package directions.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake and remove it. If the toothpick comes out clean with no raw batter.... VOILA the cake is done. Use your favorite frosting recipe and decorate.