Cold Rotini Salad with Spinach Basil Pesto & fresh peas
Fresh pesto is one of the easiest things to make…you need to do this right now in fact. Grab your food processor and let’s go.
But first, let me give you a little gardenofeatin history on the garden that grows in our backyard. I am not a “garden person”. I know you are shocked but read on….
Anything that lives more than a day in my care is very lucky. My mom was always the green thumb in the family and now when I get a plant I promptly give it to her so it will survive. I married a guy who is pretty good at everything. That could be why I married him. He loves gardening and absolutely can make anything grow in his tiny rectangular dirt spot at the back of the house. Each year he buys a variety of seeds and plants and goes to town. Fresh herbs, vegetables and a host of tomato vines that climb to heights that are unreachable. The produce that he yields is very impressive. Local wild life also love his garden and my favorite thing to do is watch my husband running around the yard waving his hands in the air and screaming at rabbits, squirrels, birds or as he calls them – varmints.
The abundance of fresh herbs calls my name each year and this pesto sauce reaps the benefits of our little garden.
I have used this sauce on pasta, pizza, chicken and sometimes I just coat my finger in it and eat it AS IS.
- 1 bunch baby spinach - throughly washed
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan or grana padano cheese.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper to taste - don't get heavy handed on the salt because the cheese is salty enough
- olive oil - you will be drizzling this into the food processor
- Place all ingredients except the olive oil in your food processer.
- Turn on low speed to start just to chop up the ingredients to a rough texture. Now slowly drizzle in the oil and pulse until you get a nice consistency. Not too thick and not too thin. You will need to watch this stage carefully. You can use the pesto on hot or cold pasta.
- For this recipe, I used a box of rotini and added some fresh green peas for garnish.
- Buon Appetito!