Myrna’s Lemon Bars
Every Mother’s Day I make a tribute dish to celebrate a lady that I miss so much. My Mother-in-Law was an amazing baker and cook and she left me with a load of her hand written recipes which I will always cherish. This recipe for Lemon Bars was one of my favorites (and hers too). She had a few recipes that were laced with juicy lemons, one of which was her scratch lemon meringue pie. Oh my gawd was it ever good and her meringue always came out sky high.
These little lemon bars are very easy to make. A cookie dough crust, some lemon filling and that’s that.
I’m sharing Myrna’s Bars with you.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix flour, butter and powdered sugar. Press in ungreased square non-stick pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches, building up ½-inch edges. (option to line with parchment paper as well)
- Bake crust 20 minutes.
- Beat granulated sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, baking powder, salt and eggs with electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Pour over hot crust.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center. Cool; dust with powdered sugar. Cut into about 1½-inch squares.