Mother’s Day BBQ with all the fixins
Mother’s Day is probably one of my favorite occasions to celebrate. A few good reasons:
1. I am a mother
2. I have the best mother
3. I am related to some fabulous mothers (and one particular “mother-to-be”)
I want to start this blog by thanking my mom for HAVING me. She always says “you were an accident but NOT a mistake”. Next, I want to thank her for teaching me all her kitchen tricks – including all the unmeasured recipes that required me standing next to her in her kitchen to learn. And last but not least, I want to thank her for being my biggest fan, my inspiration for this blog and instagram feed and my best friend. My mom has been creating magical meals in her kitchen for almost 78 years (she is 93). No one can come close to duplicating the taste of her foods but trust me….we have tried. This year we had a dual celebration – Mother’s Day and A Birthday. As you may have guessed, I love baking so an obnoxiously large cake was part of the menu.
The celebration was a collaboration with my sister, nieces @littlemissparty and @mrevzen along with my boys girlfriend’s @allthatglitters.partyshoppe and @turnthepagedesigns. Otherwise known as Vici, Seri, Mandy, Daniella & Gila.
When LittleMissParty and Co. came to Toronto this week, she brought a haul of party decor with her in her suitcase. That’s my kinda party guest. They arrived 2 hours early to set up the house while I ran around the kitchen with a camera hanging around my neck (as usual).
My husband got involved with the tablescaping as well. How? By turning the napkins into roses of course. Really? YES. He learned how to do this at a restaurant we were at one evening. The difference between him and me is that he has the patience to pay attention to instructions, I just like to get to the finished result. You need to know that this is one of the many reasons I married this guy. Who would pass up a man who makes rose napkins? I mean.
I wanted to keep the menu for the evening as simple as possible so I could get a chance to enjoy myself with my guests. The best thing a host can do is delegate and so I did:
Here was our game plan:
Burgers, Dogs N Buns – ME
Corn on the Barbie – ME – (and I forgot to serve it btw)
Potato Chip Bar – ME
Crudities and Dips -ME
Sangria – Seri
Salad # 1 – Seri
Salad #2 – Mandy
Salad # 3 – Daniella
Salad #4 – Gila
Assorted Sweets – Vici
Bun Delivery – Vici
Tablescaping – Seri & Mandy
Floral Supply – Seri
Floral Arrangements- ME
I wish I could give you the recipes for all the stunning salads that were on the table but this blog would just go on forever. Instead I will share my “GO TO” chicken burger & CAKE recipe with you.
- 4 pkgs of minced chicken (about 4lbs of chicken)
- 4 eggs ( rule of thumb - one egg per pack of chicken)
- 2 cups of fresh bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbls bbq sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients, form into burger patties and grill.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups white granulated sugar
- 8 egg yolks, room temperature
- ¾ cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup cocoa, good quality
- Whipped Chocolate Buttercream
- 1½ cups butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch table salt
- Heat oven to 350F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans (or four if you are doubling the recipe) by spraying the sides and bottom of the pan. I use a natural coconut oil spray. Love it.
- Sift together dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment cream together butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, at least 3 minutes.
- Lower speed to medium and add in egg yolks, one at a time, whisking after each addition.
- With the mixer on low, add in milk, sour cream and vanilla slowly and just enough to incorporate – about one minute.
- Remove bowl from mixer and fold flour mixture into butter mixture. Mix until just combined – trick is not to overmix or you will end up with a dry cake.
- In a small bowl add the melted butter and cocoa and mix until combined.
- Add ½ cup of the yellow cake batter into the cocoa/butter mixture and fold together.
- Now divide the yellow cake batter to each cake pan and smooth out.
- Divide the chocolate batter evenly between the two pans by dropping spoonfuls in a circle over the yellow batter.
- Take a clean table knife or chopstick and make a swirling patter throughout the cake to gently achieve the marble effect.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick is removed clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack.
- Whipped Chocolate Buttercream
- In a the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment whisk butter and sugar on medium-high speed until very pale and fluffy or about five minutes.
- Turn mixer OFF and add in cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Turn mixer on low and blend for about 30 seconds.
- One tablespoon at a time add in heavy cream. Keep scraping down the bowl until all the cream is incorporated.
- Now jack up the mixer to medium-high to high and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until mixture becomes beautifully light and oh so fluffy.
- The Assembly line:
- Place one layer of cooled marble layer on cake stand. I leveled each layer so they would sit nicely on top of each other. Just use a serrated knife and slice of the dome part of the cake.
- Cover in about ½ cup chocolate buttercream and smooth out with an offset spatula.
- Keep going layer by layer making sure they are nicely centred.
- Starting with about 1 cup of chocolate buttercream scooped on top of the cake, start to smooth the frosting out and over the sides of the cake. There is enough frosting to covered this entire cake with a little left over, so feel free to use a healthy amount of cover sides. Serve at room temperature.
ANOTHER NOTE* - See that cake topper? It's too die for right? Want one? Click here:allthatglitterspartyshoppe