When I was a small girl birthdays and parties were all about cakes and candles. Now that I’m moving on towards turning to dust I’m not too thrilled about the amount of candles required to light my cake without setting the smoke alarm off.
Many of you already know that I have a slight obsession with plain ol’ white cake. It doesn’t matter in what shape or form. Big cakes, bundt cakes, small cakes or cupcakes – just gimme the sugar and the frosting and I will be a happy birthday girl.
This year, for my ahem…50 somethingth birthday, I wanted to bake up some small treats. Simply Beautiful Vanilla Cupcakes – can’t get easier than that. And of course, an obnoxious amount of sprinkles are in order – sprinkles have the word “celebration” written all over it.
They are cute, fun, sweet and so delish. The only problem with them is that they seem to have wings. As soon as you pop open the jar they fly everywhere. Who wouldn’t want to live in a “sprinkle house”? It beats the Old Mother Hubbard scenario- with the exception of living inside a Jimmy Choo.
- 1⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup fine sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup full fat yogurt or sour cream
- ½ cup whole milk or buttermilk
- Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup crisco shortening
- 4 cups confectioners/icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk, water or cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder
- Add butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed just until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners a little more than half way. I made mini but you can do this in regular size muffin tins
- Bake 18-20 minutes for regular size or about 14-15 minutes for the mini's - keep your eye on them and test when done.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Buttercream Frosting
- Combine butter and shortening and mix until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of confectioners/icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and 1-2 tbsp of milk,water or cream and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add a little more liquid until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes and sprinkle away!