I bet you’re wondering who Mildred Stone is.
She was a lovely lady who my mom was friends with a long time ago. Honestly? I’m not sure why I have a bunch of her hand written recipes. One of which is a cherry cheesecake that I’ve been making since I was a teenager.
I think it’s okay to share this with you. Right Mildred?
Cheesecake is one of my vices. I love all types. New York style, fruity, sour cream …..it doesn’t matter….I can consume that yumminess ANYTIME.
I also couldn’t help but add a little 4th of July inspiration to this sweetie. RED, WHITE & BLUE just for you.
- For the Crust
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbls sugar
- Pinch salt
- 5 tbls unsalted butter (if using salted butter, omit the pinch of salt), melted
- For the Filling
- 4 pkgs cream cheese(8 oz/250g each), room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbls flour
- 6 eggs separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 jar of cherry preserves (you can use any flavour here - strawberry and blueberry is delish too)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare crust by mixing graham crumbs with sugar, salt and melted butter.
- Prepare 10 inch springform pan buy wrapping the bottom with foil so that no liquid leaks through when you place the filling in. I like to place the foil wrapped pan on a baking sheet that is lined with foil as well.
- Press crumb mixture into pan and slightly up the sides. Bake crust for 10 minutes and let cool completely. You can place the cooled crust in the fridge while you make the filling. It will ensure that it is nice and firm.
- Cream the cheese, sugar and flour until all ingredients are well blended.
- Slowly add egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and sour cream and continue beating until blended.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks and gently fold into cheese mixture just until it is incorporated
- Pour into prepared graham crust
- Take 2 tbls of cherry preserves and dot onto the top of the cheesecake gently.
- Now take a knife and make a marbled swirl through the preserves.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave cake in oven with door ajar for 1 hour.
- When cool, serve with mixed berries.