It’s August. What does that have to do with this galette? Let me tell you. Our backyard crops are starting to look like they have reached their peak and I wanted to use up these gorgeous yellow tomatoes in a dish.
I also wanted to add some root vegetables into this recipe for some color and texture. I had beets, sweet potatoes and some carrots hanging around in the fridge so I slow roasted them and set them aside until I was ready to come up with this quick and easy recipe.
- 1 roll of frozen puff pastry dough
- 2 tbls melted butter
- 2 cups mixed roasted root vegetables, I used beets, carrots, sweet potatoes
- 1 large yellow tomato, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 3 basil leaves
- ¼ cup fresh feta or goat cheese
- For the roasted vegetables, preheat oven to 350F. Wrap carrots and beets separately in tin foil and bake for 1 hour. Unwrap and peel skin off beets while still warm.
- Microwave or bake sweet potato until soft. About 10 minutes in the microwave or 75 minutes in the oven.
- Set aside while you prepare puff pastry.
- Roll out pastry until it is approximately 10 X 10 inches. Place dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheet or into tart pan.
- Brush entire dough with melted butter.
- Place vegetable over the top of the pastry.
- Sprinkle with oregano and feta cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil ribbons. Serve warm.