I have to admit. I’m a pasta freak. I could eat it all day. Yep, ALL DAY. I also love milk or cream in my pasta sauces. Why not? The best sauces are dreamy and creamy, but when you are watching your dairy intake and your calories, what can you do? I’ll tell you my secret.
I really love using Almond Breeze Original beverage instead of all the high fat stuff. It still adds luscious thickness to your dishes and absolutely tastes great. It’s made from real California almonds, Almond Breeze Original is a deliciously velvety alternative to dairy and soy milk. Almond Breeze Original is lactose free, soy free, calcium enriched, contains only 60 calories per glass and is found in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
Ya, that’s right, you need to get this right now……it’s only 60 calories and it’s delish!
While concocting this recipe, I wanted to give everyone two options. A vegan and non-vegan version. You can always improvise with ingredients and with the addition of an avocado blended into this sauce, the yumminess factor just shoots up to a +10!
Now it’s time for the truth and I’m not ashamed to admit that I do have “recipe fails” from time to time. I made this dish on the weekend and wanted to add a bunch of root vegetables to pump up the flavours of this recipe while also adding in some additional nutritional value.
Here’s what happened. I ended up with a dish of vegetables and you couldn’t find the darn pasta in the dish! Once I finished doing the whole shoot and looked at the photos, I knew I had a disaster on my hands.
Not to worry! We still enjoyed the dish that evening and it gave me another excuse to eat pasta again this week for dinner.
- Creamy Brown Butter Avocado Sage Sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, (or vegan substitute)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 15 whole sage leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Beverage, Original
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt for a vegan version, plain
- 1 large avocado, peeled and cut into large chunks
- salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
- Root Vegetables
- 2 cups of mixed roasted root vegetables (I used orange beets & carrots)
- 12 oz fresh pasta (any shape, I used butternut squash stuffed ravioli)
- Flat leaf parsley, grated parmesan & sliced almonds for garnish
- Prepare all the vegetables and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. (I have made this with fresh pasta as well and it comes out great)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the sage and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until brown flecks appear in the butter. Remove the pan from the heat and add the garlic. Slowly whisk in the flour; return the pan to the heat and whisk in the almond beverage and Greek yogurt. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Transfer sauce to a blender and add avocado. Blend until smooth. Serve over pasta and garnish with parsley, fresh parmesan & almonds if desired.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Almond Breeze, and I have been compensated for my time and provided with product for recipe testing purposes. All thoughts and opinions are my own.