I have to be honest. The amount of cooking that I actually do lately during the week has drastically dwindled. Now, that’s not withstanding the shoots that are part of Simply Beautiful Eating. Those are created during the weekends, take an entire day and we have loads of leftovers afterwards.
The reason for my lack of cooking is twofold:
- It’s just the two of us now, so we don’t care if we eat straight out of a pot and;
- I like going to my yoga class after work.
This would never be possible if I wasn’t married to a great husband who is a wiz in the kitchen. Steve prepares the full meal and all the trimmings and I’m in charge of setting the table, a truly daunting task, wink wink.
So I bet you’re wondering why I’m telling you all of this.
The other night, I made a salad. Aren’t you impressed?
This is what happens when I’m in charge.
- 1 bag of kale salad mix or 5 cups of fresh kale
- 2 cups shredded nappa cabbage
- 3 - 4 fresh figs, sliced in half
- 2 red plums, sliced
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit, cranberries, raisins or apricots
- Creamy Avocado Poppyseed dressing (recipe below)
- Place kale and cabbage on a platter or in a salad bowl. Arrange sliced plums over the top, sprinkle with cheese, nuts and dried fruit. When ready to serve, toss with salad dressing.
- 2 tbsp avocado mayonnaise (for this one I usedChosen Foods avocado mayo)
- 2 tsp kozliks balsamic fig & date mustard (if you can't find this, dijon mustard will do)
- 1½ tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 garlic glove, peeled and smashed
- dash of kosher salt & pepper
- Mix all ingredients well in a blender or food processor. Serve over salad. Can be stored in fridge for up to one week.