I could probably just write two lines for this blog and it would be sufficient because really? All you need to know is this:
You can make these spooky treats in less time than you can say BOO.
But wait. I just need to tell you this…. (you didn’t expect me to just go away quietly did you?)
The long and short of these mummies are as follows: I got really lazy this weekend. Like really, really downright lazy. I’ve made treats from scratch almost my whole life, but with a few celebrations coming up this week and no time to spare, I had to think really fast.
I needed something quick as lightening to shoot for a Halloween post, so here’s what I did:
1. Pinterest (I mean, what did we do without pins and boards?)
2. The bulk food store (a truly magical place)
3. Searched my cupboard for things I rarely use (like black icing gel)
I have to admit.
These are stinkin’ cute. Just in case you are not as lazy as I am, I’m going to share my all time favourite marshmallow krispy recipe with you. When I made these squares for my boys, they walked into the kitchen, walked out and the pan was empty within 5 minutes. OH the joys of boys.
Happy Halloween from Simply BOOtiful Eating!
- 9 - 10 Marshmallow Krispy Squares (You can buy these at any bulk food store or make my recipe below)
- 2 cups white melting chocolate
- 1 tube black gel icing
- Melt chocolate in a microwavable bowl in 30 second increments. Keep stirring in between the 30 seconds until smooth and glossy. About 2 minutes total.
- Dip marshmallow krispy squares into chocolate, coating the top and sides only. Leave the bottom without the coating. Place each square on a cooling rack. Once you are done, pop them into the fridge for 30 minutes or the freezer for 5 to harden the chocolate.
- Remove from fridge or freezer and drizzle with leftover chocolate to make zig zag strands like a mummy. Place back into fridge or freezer to harden.
- Place two drops for each eye with the black gel icing. Let fully harden and serve.
- ¼ cup butter
- 5 cups miniature or 40 regular (250 g pkg) marshmallows
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Cups puffed rice cereal (*I have used brown rice puffs and it works well too)
- 3 heaping tablespoons smooth peanut or almond butter
- In large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add marshmallows; stir until melted and well blended. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and nut butter.
- Add cereal, stirring until coated. You're going to need muscle for this, trust me.
- Using lightly buttered spatula or wet fingers, press into buttered (13 x 9") pan. Cool. Cut into bars.