I like a good challenge. This recipe for Ricotta Tomato & Zucchini Sage Tarts was posted on Instagram by Chatelainekitchen for a contest and the winner gets a prize for recreating it in a unique way. At first glance, and WITHOUT my reading glasses I thought the prize was a night out with Curtis Stone.For those of you who don’t know who Mr. Stone is…..he is a celebrity chef well known on the Foodnetwork and is hotter than a habanero pepper.
Uh ya. Check this out↓Needless to say, I needed to enter this contest immediately. And yes, I’m happily married to the best guy on earth but who would pass up a chance to have a little TABLE talk with this guy ↑ ????I was leaving work in about an hour so I asked my husband (who happened to be home because that’s where his office is) to take out a roll of puff pastry dough from the freezer so it could thaw out by the time I walked through the door.
It was Steve (my husband). He asked me what he should pick up from the market for dinner.
The market? I thought he was home?
“Did you take out the dough to thaw”, I asked?
“OH DARN, I completely forgot to”, he answered!
As always, Steve has a way of fixing his mistakes by correcting them with a devised PLAN. This is one of the many reasons I love him. EVEN THOUGH HE’S FORGETFUL.
He was at the market. He bought a pack of dough. He plunked it onto the back of his motorcycle and figured that all the heat and exhaust from the pipes of his “ride” it would THAW the dough just in time for me to begin the assembly process.
I walked in to a roll of frozen dough. The window of opportunity with the RIGHT lighting for this shoot was quickly dissipating before my eyes. Dusk was descending around me and I was beginning to sweat.
While I was waiting for the thaw, I read over the contest rules again.
This time I had my glasses ON. What I learned was this. There was not going to be a night out with Curtis Stone. Instead there would be a night in the kitchen with his cookware.
To be honest? I love these frying pans and I bet his FACE is on the box so that’s good enough for me.
He is married to this hot tamale ↓
By the way…these tarts were off the charts.
Here’s the winning recipe! Let’s go Curtis!
- 1½ cups ricotta
- ½ cup coarsely grated parmesan
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped sage
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 450-g pkg butter puff pastry sheets, thawed (I used President's Choice)
- 1 small heirloom tomato, thinly sliced (I used kumatos)
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt,optional
- POSITION racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- COMBINE ricotta with parmesan and ¼ tsp salt in a medium bowl. Season with fresh pepper. Divide mixture in half between 2 bowls. Stir sage into 1 portion and lemon zest into the other portion.
- UNROLL puff pastry sheets. Use a 3-in. round cookie cutter to cut out 18 circles. Place 1 in. apart on prepared parchment-lined baking sheets.
- FOR half the rounds, scoop 1 tbsp of sage-ricotta mixture onto each. Scoop 1 tbsp of lemon-ricotta mixture onto each remaining round. With the back of a spoon, flatten mixture, leaving a ¼-in. border around the edges.
- TOP each sage-ricotta round with 1 or 2 tomato slices. Top each lemon-ricotta round with 3 overlapping zucchini slices. Brush oil lightly over tomatoes and zucchini.
- BAKE in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching halfway through, until vegetables are soft and pastry is golden, 25 to 30 min. Sprinkle with sea salt before serving.
Aw! You’re so sweet! I’m so happy to hear that you understand me. Not many people do! Lol. Glad to see you tried the tarts. Pie crust is a great base for these too! I had to follow the exact recipe for this contest and boy was I ever glad they used ready to go puff pastry dough! Super easy! Xo
i understand you!! i used to watch those episodes …like 10 years ago ,when curtis picked somebody at the supermarket and offer to cook dinner for her…and always wished he were around here in Miami….by the way those tarts look delicious!!! i made an adaptation using a pie crust, tomato,basil and mozzarella.As i told you in instagram i love everything you do!!!!