Thai food happens to be one of my favorites. Especially Pad Thai, which is probably one of the only recipes on this blog that has a list of ingredients as long as my arm. I’m sure you are aware by now that if I have to deal with more than 5 – 8 ingredients I start to get hot and sweaty.
Speaking of hot. Here’s a soup that will enlighten your senses and take you to the shores of Phuket without ever getting on a plane. I will guarantee that if you try this you won’t be disappointed. It’s flavored with fresh coconut, Thai spices and good ol’ chicken stock. You can make it vegetarian too by leaving out the meat AND subbing in vegetable stock.Could you please just stop whatever you are doing and look at this?It’s really something to behold.
The colors, bold flavours and aroma are absolutely enticing. I added some skinny rice noodles to the bowl to give it a bit more girth and because I like things swimming in my bowl.As a starter or a main dish, this soup will hit the spot.
láew jer gan
(See you later)Didn’t know I spoke another language did ya?
- 1 carton chicken or vegetable stock, about 4 cups
- 1 can regular coconut milk
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp hot chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 stalk of lemon grass, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into thin bite-sized strips
- 1 small package sliced mushrooms, washed
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Scallions for garnish - optional
- Fresh Shaved Coconut for garnish - optional
- 1 cup cooked Rice Noodles - optional
- Pour stock and coconut milk into a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Whisk in sugar and chili-garlic sauce. Add lemon grass & tumeric. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, tomato and and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 5 min. Remove lemon grass with a slotted spoon (I find it too chewy to leave it in so I take it out)
- Stir lime juice, fish sauce and cilantro into soup.
- Serve hot with rice noodles,fresh coconut and green onions with desired.