When I go grocery shopping with Steve, it’s always an experience. Let me explain.
Usually, we stay together and one of us pushes the cart down each aisle as we peruse the items that will ultimately make it into the cart. As a rule, the collaboration on what’s A YES and what’s A NO usually goes something like this:
ME: “OOOOOO!!! Look at these…..I want to make ______with them.”
STEVE: “YOU DON’T NEED THEM.”
ME: “Yes, I do. Can you imagine what they will look like in a photograph?”
STEVE: “It’s going to go bad in the fridge before you ever photograph them.”
ME: “NO, I’m going to make the recipe when we get home.”
STEVE: “YA, RIGHT.”
ME: “Can I get these too?”
STEVE: “Because you will forget that you have the container and it will expire”.
Enter these gooseberries. I have to admit something to you but you need to promise not to tell Steve, okay?
I really didn’t need these. Don’t get me wrong, they were super cute and really made for an unusal twist to this recipe BUT the bottom line is, they were totally an impulse buy and were not ripe enough to eat out of the container.
That’s exactly why there is a good amount of honey in this recipe because unless you like things REALLY SOUR, and I mean SOUR, you are going to want to ripen these on your window sill for a few days OR until you forget about them.
Oh, and my solution for shopping with Steve is not going shopping with Steve. I usually make my way to the store to buy everything my heart desires, quickly unpack it and try to camouflage it in the fridge. Works like a charm, until he finds it with arms and sleeves three months from now.
- 1 cup low fat vanilla flavoured yogurt
- ¼ cup Manuka honey
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh gooseberries, frozen
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase to the highest speed.
- Use the tamper to press ingredients into the blades.
- In about 30-60 seconds, the sound of the motor will change and four mounds should form.
- Stop machine. Do not over mix or melting will occur. Serve immediately with additional gooseberries for garnish.