Summer is a perfect time for entertaining and I love having family and friends over for an outdoor relaxing meal.
Last weekend, Steve and I hosted a family barbecue chock full of good food. While Steve was busy grilling, I served this easy appetizer along with a tortilla and veggie platter. It was a perfect way to kickstart everyone’s appetite while the main course and side dishes were being prepared.
Now, you know how I feel about anything on a stick. I love serving individual small bites which look as pretty as these.
Yes, it’s time consuming to thread them onto the long toothpicks but totally worth it because…..LOOK….just look!
They couldn’t have been tastier or easier to throw together. I usually make my own pesto which is super fast to do in a food processor. The only problem was, I stuck for time and had a million other things to prepare for this dinner. So, I bought ready made pesto, fresh tortellini and used some fresh tomatoes from the garden. This was literally ready to serve in a few minutes from start to finish. Not joking.
All I needed to do was this:
- Cook the pasta, drain and run ice cold water over it to cool it quickly
- Toss it in pesto sauce
- Thread it onto the skewers with sliced tomatoes
I mean, come on…..
I think you can do this. Right?
Happy summer entertaining!
- 1 package of fresh tortellini
- 1 (160g) container pesto
- 10-15 small cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Add a few tablespoons of pesto into the bowl of pasta. Toss to coat all the tortellini well.
- Thread three tortellini and one tomato half onto each skewer. Serve chilled or immediately.
- Can be made in advance.
Leave a Reply