This post was #Sponsored by Egg Farmers of Canada, but all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Simply Beautiful Eating in the kitchen.Did you know that October 11 (TODAY!) is #WORLDEGGDAY?
I’m so excited to once again be partnering with Egg Farmers of Canada to help them celebrate! Our Egg Farmers produce the eggs that Canadians LOVE. That’s exactly why we are recognizing them on this special occasion.
Quick fact #1 – to meet a continuously growing demand, Canadian Egg Farmers produced 752 million dozen eggs in 2018 alone! That is A LOT of eggs!
Quick fact #2 – Canadian egg farmers follow world class standards for food safety and animal care. Feeling confident that our eggs are safe to eat is important to all of us.
Quick fact #3 – This world egg day, Egg Farmers of Canada have teamed up with one of my favourite Chefs – LYNN CRAWFORD, to help introduce Canadians to some the farmers who produce the eggs that we know and love. Visit this link to watch the video!
I mean, who doesn’t love eggs? I know I do, and I use them on a daily basis in so many of my recipes to feed my family.
How can you help to celebrate? Share how much you love Canadian eggs and egg farmers by using the hashtag #WorldEggDay on your social media channels. I would love to know how you will be enjoying your eggs today!
I’m going to celebrate by spooning up my recipe for this cozy egg based soup inspired by one of my favourite “better than takeout” dishes. I combined several recipes into one by blending a Cantonese style version of egg drop, sweet corn & crab soup, then garnished it with dim sum dumplings.
I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. Let’s get cracking!
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock (or organic store-bought)
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten) (or you can use just egg whites)
- 1¼ cups canned creamed corn
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- Black or white pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine
- 1 can lump crab meat (6.5 oz - 120g), drained and shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- *Optional garnishes - 1 package store bought frozen chinese dumplings, steamed (I used Shrimp Shu Mai) and 6 -8 small boiled eggs, halved
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the creamed corn and bring back to a boil.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, sugar, rice wine, and crabmeat. Cook for about 2 minutes to bring back to a boil again.
- Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick stir, then pour into the boiling soup. This will thicken the soup so keep stirring. When the soup has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Stir the soup in one direction then quickly pour the egg whites into the centre of soup in a steady stream, then quickly stir in a clockwise direction until they form thin shreds. Stir in sesame oil.
- Steam the dumplings if using for a garnish - I also floated a small boiled egg halves because you can never have enough eggs!