The love my life and inspiration for this blog (my 94 year old mom) has been in the hospital. On the day I completed this shoot, I got a call from her caregiver that she had a nasty fall in her bedroom. Her injuries included a broken hip and wrist which required surgery. The nightmare began on July 13th and hasn’t ended. She spent three long and grueling weeks in the hospital, suffered some physical setbacks and finally came home last week at her request.
She didn’t want any more medical interventions performed and frankly I couldn’t blame her. Sometimes hospitals are places that can perform lifesaving techniques and other times they wear you down to a point of exhaustion, especially at her age. Seeing that I’m her primary advocate, I needed to respect her wishes and set a goal to get her home as quickly as I could.
I fully renovated a main floor room in the home my father built for her. She calls it her palace. It’s a place where she feels safe, has many memories, and where she wants to be for the rest of her life. My promise to her is to keep her as comfortable as possible and to remain her voice when she is too weak to make decisions. She has the best care I could arrange. 24 hour nurses, personal support workers, physiotherapists and her full time caregiver of 7 years on staff. We have aptly named this crew TEAM FRIEDA.
I’m bringing you this recipe today with a heavy heart. She has really been struggling with the loss of her independent lifestyle and it’s taking the toll on her both physically and emotionally. I have spent loads of time with her every day since the fall. Holding her, talking to her and sopping up the precious moments that I can spend with her. She is my life, my love, my best friend and biggest fan. I hope and pray for a speedy recovery but only time will tell and heal.
- 3 peaches or nectarines, halved
- 6 - 8 medium sized bocconcini cheese balls, halved
- 8 cantaloupe balls
- 6 yellow cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh raspberries
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic reduction - store bought or homemade
- Prepare peaches or nectarines by coating them in olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Heat barbecue or indoor grill pan to medium high heat. Place peaches or nectarines on grill and sear on both sides until fruit is softened. Set aside.
- Place cheese, cantaloupe, tomatoes and raspberries on a serving plate along with the grilled peaches or nectarines. Drizzle with balsamic reduction. Toss and serve.