Here’s a true confession. I absolutely LOVE WATERMELON. Now that’s really not the end of this confession. I love it, but I’m really lousy at picking watermelons. That’s why this post is so fabulous. I’m working with watermelon.org today to bring you the LOW down on how to pick a perfect watermelon AND why you need one in your life nutritionally. Ready? Let’s do this.EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT WATERMELONS BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK:
Selecting the perfect watermelon is as easy as bing, bang, boom.
1. Give that melon a good once over. Just like you would on a first date or when buying a new car. You want that baby to be firm, symmetrical and doesn’t have any dents, cuts or bruises.
2. Next you will need to hoist that watermelon UP. Keep in mind that they are not light and you want it to be heavy. I’m going to compare it to all of my pregnancies, in which I looked exactly like a watermelon, heavy and full of water (and a baby of course).
3. Turn it over. The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
4. To thump or not to thump. According to experts, this is a fallacy. If you follow steps 1 to 3 above you can pretty much guarantee that you are walking out of the store with a perfect melon. But by all means, thump if you must.
Wanna know what I do because I can’t be trusted with a watermelon? I sashay my butt over to one of the produce guys at my market and ask him to pick it for me AND sometimes he will even cut in half to make sure it’s PERFECT. Yes, I know I’m high maintenance but really? If I’m going to commit to a relationship with a giant watermelon, it better be a good looking one.
• Watermelon can be stored uncut at room temperature for 7-10 days.
• Once cut, watermelon can be kept fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in a plastic container or plastic wrap.
• Because watermelon is 92% water, it freezes well and that’s why I love making refreshing watermelon pops in the summer time!
• Watermelon is an excellent hydrator.
• Watermelon is low in calories and fat and is cholesterol-free.
• Watermelon contains high levels of the antioxidant lycopene – and you guys already know how I feel about loading myself with ANTIOXIDANTS. Bring it on!
• Watermelon is an excellent source of nutrients. Here’s a few: Citrulline, Vitamin C, Thiamine (B1), Vitamin B6, Vitamin A and it’s a wonderful snack for pre and post workout.
If you are interested in learning more or for some additional yummy recipes please visit watermelon.org
I’m always looking for a quick and nutritious snack and this one fits the bill perfectly. I took crumbled feta cheese, fresh fruit and berries and dressed this watermelon up to the nines. Just look at this!!! Stunning right?It also serves up like a pizza without all the gooey toppings. Best of all? It took me 3 minutes to make. 3 MINUTES!!!!!!
Grab it. Slice it. Top it. Enjoy!Needless to say, having watermelon faux pizza is truly a simply beautiful thing. #eatmorewatermelon
- 1 watermelon - slice two rounds about 2 inches thick
- Any berries or fruit, enough to sprinkle on top of the slices for garnish - I used blueberries, kiwi, physalis
- Any crumbles cheese - I used the standard feta but goat works too
- Mint - for garnish - totally optional but really good
- Use the first round of watermelon as a base.
- Take the second round and slice it equally - into 8 portions
- Now sprinkle with berries, kiwi, cheese, mint and serve!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by the watermelon.org but all thoughts and options are mine.
Leave a Reply