And what you’re looking at today are these faux meatballs inspired by one of my all-time favourite restaurant selections – THAI RED CURRY. Now listen. You can use this sauce with just about anything. Shrimp, chicken, – whatever you’ve got hangin’ around – once the main ingredient is swimming in this ultra rich and light coconut sauce your mouth will 100% be watering.
Similar to the “black beaners”, the whole shebang gets tossed into a food processor and blended just enough to render you a sticky mixture to form into (non) meatballs. From there you roll the mixture into any size ball you want and bake them in the oven while you make the yummy sauce.
- MEATBALL INGREDIENTS
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup chopped carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½-inch fresh ginger, minced
- 10 -12 basil leaves - I used Thai Basil leaves)
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy or tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
(OMIT FOR VEGAN)
- RED CURRY SAUCE
- 2-3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (you can use lite too but it's not as creamy)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon coconut or date sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 375F (180 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add all of the ingredients for the meatballs starting with the chickpeas and ending with the soy or tamari and fish sauce. Blend for about 10 seconds, until everything is finely chopped and it starts to form a dough. DO NOT OVERMIX or you will end up with a puree. You need to be able to press the mixture between your fingers and have it stick together.
- Using a one tablespoon ice cream scoop, scoop out mixture and roll into balls then place onto the baking sheet a few inches apart. Option to spray the meatballs with avocado oil to make them crunchier but not necessary. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 -25 minutes, or until light golden brown and firm.
- While the meatballs are baking, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add the red curry paste (If you're not into too much spice, add less paste), tomato paste, coconut milk, water and coconut or date sugar. Whisk ingredients together and bring to a low boil
- Reduce heat to low then squeeze in lime juice and stir.
- Once meatballs are done, add them to the pan, spooning the sauce over them. serve warm over brown rice and top with additional sauce. Garnish as desired.