Confession time. I literally push the month away so that I can wait at the front door for my next PC Black Label Box to arrive. I’m not kidding here. The second that doorbell rings, I grab the box, open it and reveal what’s inside to create another culinary adventure for the President’s Choice #PlayWithYourFood Campaign.
As many of you already know, I like to unbox these products on my Instagram story to show you what’s inside the mysterious black box. This month, I let my followers vote on which product I should use in my recipe. Guess which one was the winner?
I was so happy that this was the product I was going to be incorporating into my recipe because, LOOK WHAT TRANSPIRED here.
An absolutely wonderful focaccia bread base topped with seasonal inspired berries. Could this be any more perfect for the holidays? And guess what else? If you’re intimidated about making your own focaccia, DON’T BE.
I will tell you that making your own dough for pizza or a bread like this one isn’t difficult to accomplish. In fact, it’s downright easy. The only thing you require is a little patience and, if you are tempted to knead the dough, a little muscle action is also a prerequisite.
Once you have made your focaccia dough, you can either choose to blend different herbs, olives or other ingredients into the dough OR simply top it when it’s freshly baked. I decided to throw some dried fruit and nuts into the focaccia, then use fresh berries, which were roasted and spread as a topping. A little sprinkle of fresh goat feta cheese just put this bread OVER THE TOP.
Just a quick note to let you know that you can use “00” flour as a substitute for all purpose flour in baking and bread making. It’s known to be a gold standard flour for pizza dough, so why not try it the next time you are giving that a whirl.
I’m 100% positive you are going to LOVE making this. Oh, and don’t forget to enter the giveaway!
I’m going to challenge all of you again to #PlayItForward with me.
Over the past few months I have LOVED experimenting and discovering new tastes and flavours through my own #PlayItForward journey – so much so that I want to #PlayItForward and encourage all of you to JOIN IN!
Start your own culinary adventure and enter on today’s Instagram post on my feed for the chance to win……
PC BLACK LABEL BLACK BOX WITH TWO SURPRISE PRODUCTS INSIDE!
You will also be receiving a $50 President’s Choice Gift Card.
Here’s what you need to do.
1. COMMENT ON MY LATEST RECIPE ON MY INSTAGRAM FEED
2. TELL ME WHAT YOU WOULD CREATE AND MENTION YOUR PC BLACK LABEL PRODUCT CHOICE
3. HASHTAG #PCBlackLabel & #PlayWithYourFood to enter.
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- ⅔ cup warm water (use a thermometer to get it to 110F or 45C)
- 2 cups PC Black Label "00" Farina
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- butter for greasing pan
- In a large bowl, dissolve honey and yeast in warm water. Set aside for about 10 minutes. The mixture should turn foamy.
- Add 1 cup PC Black Label "00" Farina, sea salt, and 3 tablespoons olive oil to the yeast mixture. Stir until combined and then work in the last cup of farina, adding only enough to keep the dough from being sticky.
- Knead the dough until smooth, elastic, and soft, about 7 minutes or place dough in stand mixer with hook until you get a nice consistency.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. I like placing my dough inside the oven with the temperature off. It's a great draft free location.
- Punch the dough down with your fist and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough into a rectangle, about ½ inch thick.
- Place in buttered 9" x 13" inch pan or baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume again, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F or 200C.
- Poke dimples in the bread, then sprinkle with dried cranberries and pepitas. Use your fingers to press the dried fruit and seeds into the dough.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. See recipe below for topping instructions.
- 1 ½ cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet onion
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup goat feta cheese, crumbled
- After you bake your focaccia lower your oven temperature to 375F.
- Mix cranberries, maple syrup, honey, onion, thyme and salt in an 8" x 8" baking dish. Roast, stirring once or twice, until the cranberries burst and the mixture is bubbling and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and mash up the cranberries until the mixture is nice and thick. Once your focaccia is baked, top with your roasted cranberry mixture and cheese.
- Place focaccia back into the oven for another 8 -10 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Note* If you can't find goat feta, use a combination of both goat and feta cheese.