I absolutely love hosting a brunch for my family and friends and I couldn’t think of anything better to serve than waffles!
This scrumptious recipe was inspired by Ontario Cheese Ambassador, Afrim Pristine and can be found on the blog today and at SAVOUR ONTARIO.
If you haven’t already noticed, I’m the type of gal that LOVES a good waffle. And there are SO many fun ways to serve them. This combination of ingredients creates a crisp exterior that gives way to a flavour filled bite of WILDWOOD CHEESE and crispy deli ham.
Let’s talk about this cheese for a minute, shall we? Wildwood not only has an impressive zesty flavour, but also has a very rustic and appealing appearance. Wildwood is rich and creamy on the palate with a nice balance of salt. Simply divine.
My husband Steve absolutely loved these so much he made up his own ad jingle. READY?
Close your eyes and imagine a VERY low voice saying “WAFFLES, WAFFLES, WAFFLES – GET EM’ HOT, GET EM’ FRESH, GET EM’ NOWWWWWWW”.
Now imagine this being repeated into your ear a hundred times until you can’t take it anymore.
Did I tell you he drives me nuts? Well, he does but his cuteness outweighs his ANNOYINGNESS.
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario buttermilk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted Ontario butter, melted
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped Ontario thinly sliced country ham
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Wildwood cheese
- Cooking spray
- Ontario maple syrup, for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and whisk in buttermilk and butter. Pour into flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in ham and cheese.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle about ½ cup (125 mL) of the batter into waffle iron and close lid. Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Place on baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter. (For smaller waffles, use ¼ cup (60 mL) of the batter in waffle iron. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve with your favourite brunch foods.