They sent me a darling little book called CUPCAKES & MINI CAKES. It’s so adorbs it kinda reminds me of a book Barbie would buy to bake stuff for Ken. Right?
I flipped through it and even though I was dying to make one of their cupcakes recipes, I opted for a muffin one instead. Most likely because over the past month I have been baking cupcakes by the double dozen for the staff on the D3 Wing in the hospital. If I walked in empty handed (without sweets) they actually gave me a “stink eye”. Oh how I loved the day when I helped my mom escape from that place!
Do these look like apple muffins to you?
It’s like this.
I had all the ingredients EXCEPT the apples. Hang on a sec…..I think you know me by now. I love to improvise SO I threw in strawberries instead. Oh, and I also added some shredded coconut to the mix because why not? My mom always taught me that a “little of this” and a “little of that” makes the perfect recipe.
Did you also notice I had to add in a cool butter recipe for these muffins? Well, ya. I made that up in my head too. Blueberry infused butter is a much needed accompaniment to take the yumminess of these muffins to a level 10. Oh ya.
I know you are going to love this little cute pink book. There are so many recipes I still need to try. I’m specifically eyeing the granola bars. This book is super easy to follow, beautifully written, tried and true.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, washed and chopped into chunks
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup bran
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup oil, I used avocado
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups and set aside.
- Place strawberries in a bowl, add the lemon juice and toss. Add ¼ cup of the sugar and set aside.
- Sift the flours, baking powder, spice, and salt into the large bowl. Add in bran. Stir in remaining sugar, coconut and pecans, then make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Beat together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla then add in the strawberries. Add the wet ingredients into the centre of the dry ingredients, and mix together lightly to make a lumpy batter. Try not to overmix, you want LUMPS.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin cups about ¾ full. Optional to top each muffin with a slice of strawberry and an additional sprinkle of sugar and coconut. That's what I did and they did turn out pretty darn stunning dontcha think?
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are nice and brown. Test with toothpick for doneness. Cool on wire rack, serve warm or cooled.
- 1 stick softened butter
- ¼ cup blueberry jam or preserves
- Blend the softened butter well with the blueberry jam. Roll in plastic wrap and chill until firm.
- Serve with muffins while they are still warm.
- This is the only way to live. Not joking.