I don’t think I’ve ever had so many comments requesting a recipe. LIKE, NEVER.
I’m going to share my own little secret with all of you. I have to admit, Steve is a wonderful cook. (Definitely not as good as I am, but we can let him think he is for the time being).
You see, my husband is SUPER COMPETITIVE. He’s also not a spring chicken wing so when I tell you what one of his favourite songs from a movie is you’ll get the picture.
“ANYTHING YOU CAN DO, I CAN DO BETTER”!!!
And he sings this with GUSTO! I mean, he belts it out. There are other songs he belts out too that make me nuts but we can talk about those another time.
Anyhoo, do you know where that line (and song) came from?
Annie Get Your Gun. Circa 1950. And yes, Steve has most likely watched that and SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS more than a million times. On many occasion, I have found him sound asleep on the couch with one of these movies blaring in the background. When I walk in and stand over his head, he jolts awake and looks at me like I caught him doing something illegal. He’s actually not doing anything out of the norm, but snoring on the couch while an ancient (uh, I mean classic) movie is rolling in and out of his dreams.
So aside from the fact that he is an amazing help around the house, he is also are dang good wing maker. And apparently, he is also becoming some sort of “insta story” STAR. I’ve always known he is a legend in his OWN MIND so let’s get to the real reason for this post.
Steve’s wings and sauce are truly mind blowing. The are THAT good.
Perfect every single time and he swears by the low and slow method. LOW HEAT AND A LONNNNGGGGG TIME ON THE GRILL.
Most likely why he is always running to COSTCO (or to our next door neighbour) to get propane for the barbecue tank. And THE SAUCE? He starts by throwing things into a bowl so the ingredient amounts are not always accurate but I made him use a measuring cup and spoons yesterday to try to recreate the recipe JUST FOR YOU.
BOY, is this sauce ever delish AND you can use it on everything. It’s one of my faves for ribs and chicken.
So folks, here you go. Steve’s secret is now yours. Keep it to yourself or share it with the world.
- 2 - 3 lbs chicken wings, washed and dried with paper towel
- Steak spice seasoning
- Season wings with any dry rub. Steve likes Montreal Steak Spice.
- Preheat grill to 250F. Place wings on for at least 90 minutes. Keep turning them so they are nice and brown on all sides.
- Prepare sauce recipe and baste on wings for another 15 to 20 minutes until nicely glazed. Serve HOT.
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients together in a small pot on the stove and bring to a slow boil. Cook for 10 -15 minutes, stirring often.
- NOTE - If you are using this for RIBS, double the recipe. Use half to marinate the ribs in and the other half for basting.