To be very honest, I have never made a cracker in my entire life. I have no idea WHY I did this recipe, but I couldn’t help fall in love when I saw these on Pinterest. Their colour was just too pretty and they are basically made from healthy ingredients, so why not give them a try?
I wanted to use these as an accompaniment to soup and I thought they would make a nice, crunchy and flavourful addition to my cozy recipe. What I did learn here was that the key to making a good cracker is all in how thin you roll them.
Let me tell you something, I made a few batches and with each one they came out better and better.
Rolling them thin guarantees a good crispy cracker. How thin? THIN! They are so delish, you won’t believe there is even a vegetable in them! A perfect little snack for you and even more so for the kids.
Using just a few simple ingredients, you can make these homemade crackers with a stand mixer. Here’s what I love about them:
- Super easy to make
- Crazy delish
- Totally addicting
- Nice and crunchy
- Better than store bought
There are three key ingredients that make these what they are “cracked up” to be and that is flour, butter and sweet potato.
I made this recipe with two different types of flour. The first batch with stone milled organic and the second with all-purpose white flour. I have a sneaking suspicion that any type of flour will work with these and I’m willing to try tweaking them in the future.
A little caution here. The only thing that might change with using different flours is the colour of the cracker.
Next let’s discuss butter. Everything is better with butter and it’s what gives these babies their perfect little crunch when you bite into them.
And then there’s the sweet potato. Not only does it add the vibrant colour to these crackers but also packs a punch of sweet nutrition to them. I’m telling you right now, you are GOING TO LOVE THESE.
- 2 cups flour (you can try using any flour here - I did one batch with stone milled organic)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, well chilled
- 1 cup of sweet potato puree (about 1 large sweet potato, puree with small processor and cool 10 minutes)
- OPTIONAL ADD-INS
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attached, blend cubed butter, flour, baking powder and salt until you have fine crumbs. Switch to the dough hook.
- Add the pureed sweet potato and mix until you have a dough consistency. Cover dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide dough in half and roll out as thin a possible. Using a small (2 inch) cookie cutter, make any shape you like and place them onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip them over and continue baking until nice and crisp without getting too browned, about 10 more minutes in total - oven temperatures vary so just keep an eye on them.
- Cool on wire racks and place in an airtight container for up to one week.
- NOTE: I made one batch with three add-ins - cinnamon, ginger and turmeric. Thus the darker colour of the crackers. The flavour was AHMAZING.
S.I. Viljoen says
Replaced flour with almond flour and rolled oats (used bar blender to get flour-like consistency). Worked well 🌹