Do you ever have those moments when you’re craving a dessert, but the last thing you want to do is make a huge batch? This has been me lately in the evenings. I’ll be watching a show with my hubby, get up and disappear into the kitchen to make myself a single serve cookie recipe.
It’s not because I don’t like to share (which I don’t). It’s because Steve usually opts for popcorn or a different snack than I want.
It’s just the two of us now, so I don’t love having a ton of leftover sweets around. Well. That’s a lie. I do love leftover sweets but we don’t always need the temptation to finish it all in a matter of days.
These little crisps are ridiculously easy to throw together and I’m going suggest that you save this recipe in your back pocket. I just have a feeling that you’ll want to make it all of the time. I’m speaking from experience here… I want to eat this over and over again.
Let’s talk about the recipe for a sec. The filling is just a simple mixture of apples, a little bit of flour, oats, sugar, spices, nuts and dried fruit. I wanted to keep this vegan and gluten-free but you can use any flour you desire. I also love using Granny Smith apples in this recipe because they are tart and pair well with the sweetness of the other ingredients.
Just make sure to chop up the apples small enough and even in size so they bake well in the microwave. Don’t have a microwave? Don’t want to use a microwave or own one? No worries. Just bake the ramekins in the oven instead at 350F for 25 minutes. It’s not as fast but what’s the rush?
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup gluten free quick oats
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2½ tablespoons gluten free or whole wheat flour (divided)
- 2½ tablespoons coconut or turbinado sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (divided)
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons currants or raisins
- 2 Granny Smith apples (about 2 cups chopped)
- Toppings: Vanilla Ice Cream, Dulce de Lecce, Caramel sauce or Maple syrup for drizzling (can use vegan topping options as well as dairy free)
- Chop the apples and toss them with ½ tablespoon of the whole wheat flour, ½ tablespoon of the sugar, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave. Stir in the oats, pecans, 2 tablespoons of the whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, ¼ teaspoon of the cinnamon, salt and currants. Mix until well combined.
- Layer a little spoonful of the oat mixture in the bottom of two 9 ounce ramekins. Top with about 1 cup of the chopped apples and heap the remaining oat mixture over the top. Microwave for 4 minutes. Top with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with maple syrup . Enjoy !