Anyone know what a Scobbler is? Let me explain because to be honest I conjured up that word in my brain when developing this recipe. A standard cobbler is a dish that is comprised of fruit or savoury filling poured into a large baking dish and covered with a batter, biscuit, or scone before being baked. The reason I gave it this name is because the dumpling or dough that is dropped in the the skillet reminded me of a scone but yet had the look of a cobbler – so here you have it …. a mighty fine looking Scobbler don’t you think?And when it comes out of the oven the prerequisite for the ultimate “ohmygosh moment” is the act of dumping some ice cream in the centre of all this goodness.The end result? A hot mess of scobblercream. You can iterally take a spoon and eat it right out of the skillet…..who needs to wash another dish? Right?
This is such a warm and delicious dessert for a chilly night and a perfect reason to use some organic berries in the recipe. I’ve made so many crisps and cobblers over the years but this scobbler is now on my dessert top ten list.
I feel like you could actually smell this through your screen. I couldn’t help myself but just to let you know I ate 3…..yes 3 of those individual ramekins over the course of 1 hour. I had to. Why? Well, the ice cream was melting. Good excuse? Thought so.
You already know how I feel about foods that are packed with antioxidants and that I add berries to most of my meals. So in other words….even though there is a lot going on with this dessert….it has berries in it which means it has to be good for you. Another good excuse. Gawd….I’m full of them today.
Have I convinced you to make this yet?
- For the Filling
- 2 cups organic blackberries
- 2 cups organic raspberries
- ⅓ cup sugar (you can use white or brown)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of ginger
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into small pieces
- for the Scobbler topping:
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted cold butter, cubed
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- I used an 8 inch small cast iron skillet and 3 small ramekins or you can use 6 ramekins if you don't have a skillet OR you can just use a larger skillet. Are you still with me? Good.
- Place everything on a cookie sheet to catch the drips.
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together blackberries, raspberries,sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest,cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- Evenly divide amongst skillet ramekins and dot with butter.
- For biscuit topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and crea,
- Mix until it's just moistened. Drop by spoonfuls onto berry mixture.
- This should be a shaggy looking type of dough. Don't worry if it's not beautiful. The main thing is it's delish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Serve the scobbler warm and dollop on a nice big scoop of french vanilla ice cream.