Here we have it folks. The vegan cookie of your dreams. It’s all in the title (which is super long). These are the cookies that have been missing from my life and definitely yours too. I know these cookies will make you happy because they are chock full of good stuff.
What’s the best part of these cookies? EVERYTHING. Full of chocolate chunks because I say the more heavy handed the better. The nutty taste of tahini combined with oatmeal and crunchy pecans and sweet dates….I mean……really? If you’re tempted to eat them raw, go right ahead. I have done it and I stand proud alongside the raw dough.
Each bite of cookie is like a morsel from heaven.
One of the key ingredients in these cookies is chocolate. So what kind should you use? Well, you can use chocolate chips, but only if they are super good quality ones. I have made these with packaged chocolate chunks (70% cocoa) or bars of dark chocolate. When using bars, I love the uneven pieces and sizes of chocolate you get in your dough from chopping up chocolate. From small shavings that just melt into the cookie to the large chunks which create great big beautiful dark puddles of chocolate love. Uh huh. CHOCOLATE. CHUNK. LOVE. Three key words that speak to my heart.
Unlike chocolate chips, which hold their shape during baking, chopped chocolate bars will melt in the oven and remain soft and melty until fully cooled and even chilled a bit. I tend to lean towards dark chocolate between 60 % and 70%.
If you love super dark and more bitter chocolate go for a higher percentage, while if you like milder and sweeter chocolate go for a lower percentage. I’m happy with just about any chocolate in my baking but I cater to what Steve loves best…..he LOVES dark.
These cookies are vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free, but big on flavour and texture. Trust me, you’re not going to miss having refined sugar in these.
I am not gonna lie, this is one of the best cookies I’ve ever eaten. And by the way, I’ve eaten my fair share of cookies in my life.
I AM SOLD and you will be too.
Make these cookies. GO. NOW. Just do it. See ya.
- 1 cup tahini
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick oats
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped dates (any dates will do)- optional but really good!
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup dark or semi- sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together the wet ingredients with a fork until blended. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Using an ice cream scoop (about ¼ cup), pack the mixture of each cookie in tightly. Place the ball onto the baking sheet and press the cookie down gently with your palm.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheet. These cookies don’t need to be baked long because they contain raw vegan ingredients. Just baked enough time hold their shape.
- NOTE: I like to double this recipe too!