I love making brunch. Even better, I love going out for brunch. Even better than that…..I love bringing stuff I make to a brunch. When my husband’s aunt and uncle came in from Philly this weekend a family brunch was planned at my sister-in-laws place. When we received the evite she said “donations of food” accepted. That’s my kinda hostess. I quickly emailed her back and told her that I would make a french toast casserole. It’s one of my favorite, quick, simply and totally delish brunch recipes. I tasted this at my cousin Donna’s house one day and I was HOOKED. Even if you’re NOT A COOK, you can make this…..I promise.
Depending on the time of year, I usually pick some cool berry and fruit add-ins to this recipe. If I do say so myself, this turned out pretty darn spectacular AND was so good there were hardly any leftovers – boo hoo
Family is precious – we had a great time and this recipe is a keeper. Enjoy.
- 1 square challah (egg bread), sliced and cut into chunks
- 7 eggs
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbls maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh berries - I used blueberries
- 2 nectarines sliced
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish and place bread cubes inside.
- Mix eggs, milk and vanilla.Pour evenly over bread cubes. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight.
- Next day, melt the butter with the brown sugar.
- After it melts, add in the maple syrup.pour over bread mixture, top with berries and sliced nectarines and bake at 350F for at least one hour. I kept checking it until it was nicely browned. Serve warm with additional fruit.
Great! So happy you liked the recipe. Xo
I made this last year for Easter and it was a big hit! No problems with excessive or not enough moisture, just follow the recipe and you’ll be fine.
uh oh! It was supposed to say Yield 1 casserole. It feeds a large crowd or just me when I’m really hungry…lol ! Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected the recipe. It is the most delicious thing ever. You really need to try this at home or take it to a brunch for a special treat. Your host will LOVE YOU FOREVER. 🙂
Does this really only serve one? Looks delicious!
This is stunning and I’m sure so so yummy! A must-try recipe!