Well folks, I finally got up the nerve to do my first “Instagram Live” a couple of weeks ago. I know you’re aware that I never have trouble talking (in fact, I tend to talk too much). The challenge was to accomplish two things at once and that was doing a step by step of this cookie recipe while taking your questions. I have to be honest, I felt a bit “ClusterF__ked”.
I think I may have made it through the process without missing anything, but JUST IN CASE I did, here’s the whole scoop on these yummilicious cookies.
I’ve made my share of chocolate chip cookies in my life, but really? I’m going to be honest here. THESE ARE THE BEST!
I’m not just saying this. I mean, these are honestly the greatest cookies EVER. Okay, maybe not. The greatest cookies that I’ve ever made are these tried and true rugelach (inspired by my Butter Idol, Ina Garten). My boys would literally KILL for these cookies.
There’s a reason I don’t make them that often and that is because they take WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too much time to do. Between the soft stage butter, cream cheese, chilling, rolling, and chilling them again, it’s a day’s work.
My recipe for chocolate chunk cookies are just the opposite. They don’t require any softening, rolling, etc. etc.
These are the type of cookies you can make for last minute guests or to satisfy a craving. Easy, quick and totally decadent.
They are also gigantic, so you may want to eat half one day and leave the other half for tomorrow. Oh forget it. Just eat the whole thing. You only live once, right?
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed (you can use light or dark)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1½ cups dark or semi-sweet chocolate chunks or 200g dark chocolat, chopped
- Pink Himalayan sea salt
- Optional twist - add in 1 cup mini peanut butter cups, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F and line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt into a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, combine melted butter and sugars. Beat for about 3 minutes until creamy.
- Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Slowly mix in flour by hand or on low speed with your mixer. Lastly, add in chocolate chunks and mix by hand with a spoon. (if using peanut butter cups add in with chocoloate chunks or chopped chocolate)
- Chill dough for 30 minutes for easy scooping.
- Using a ¼ cup ice cream scoop, place mounds of cookie dough onto baking sheet, leaving plenty of space between the dough.
- Top with a light sprinkle of pink sea salt.
- Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, until edges are crispy and centre is still a bit soft. Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to baking rack to completely cool.