Um. What happened to summer? Wasn’t I just wearing a pair of flip flops a few weeks ago? I remember it being very warm and now there’s ………S N O W on the ground. NOOOOOOOO!!
Heck, I know I live in Canada and I have to suck it up but let’s get real here. The only good thing about this season is the excuse to cuddle up by the fire and make a boat load of COMFORT food.
With the temperatures dropping below zero, I’ve been on a major soup kick lately. It’s honestly the best excuse for the perfect meal.
ONE POT. Done.
This easy soup recipe tastes just like the real McCoy without all the fuss, muss or bajillion dishes it takes to make a classic lasagne ! Simply brown some ground meat and dump in all ingredients – you may never look back on what it was like to stand there layering and layering and layering over and over again. I don’t think I need to convince you any more. Just look. LOOK at this pot of loveliness.
It’s calling my name. Did hear that?
I’ve had this lasagne soup on my mind for a while now. In fact, I rushed out to the backyard prior to the “white stuff” hitting the ground. I grabbed as much as I could out of our garden before it had the chance to freeze. Smart, right?
I added fresh oregano to this recipe and MAN was it ever good. There really is nothing like fresh herbs in cooking.
The flavors in this glorious tomato-based soup are unreal. I even did my usual fridge foraging and added in a few surprise ingredients that I wouldn’t normally even think of putting in lasagne.
But really? What I think makes this soup over-the-top is the addition of the ricotta cheese.
By adding a nice big dollop of a ricotta and some freshly grated parmesan – the cheesy, melty, ooey, gooey and dreamy creamy factor is unabashedly amazing.
Serve this up with side side, a hunk of nice crusty bread and don’t be afraid to bring this pot right to your table. Make your life easier, one pot at a time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 30 oz. crushed tomatoes with Italian spices
- 4 cups organic chicken stock
- ½ cup sugar peas
- 2 yellow beets, steamed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles (oven-ready style)
- fresh Italian parsley chopped
- ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- In a large heavy pot, heat up olive oil and butter. Add garlic and onion and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring often, until onion is almost translucent.
- Add ground chicken and cook until done, stirring often.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, peas, beets, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, bay leaf, oregano and noodles, broken into 1" to 2" pieces. Stir well.
- Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, stirring once in a while, until the noodles are done. About 30 - 40 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped Italian parsley, grated Parmesan cheese and dollops of ricotta cheese.
Thank you !!! Xo
Love this recipe!