A BIG FAT YASSSSS!
After scrolling past this “famous” recipe for baked feta pasta about a million times, I figured it was due time I tried it. Let me just say, it was worth the hype. I wanted to tweak the original recipe a bit so I included spinach, oregano infused feta cheese and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Suffice to say, this was seriously a foolproof recipe made in one dish (less the pot that I used to boil the pasta in). Many rumor’s say that feta cheese was completely obliterated in Finland because of how popular this recipe is. The truth is that this dish is one of the better viral foods we have enjoyed and you should absolutely try it.
I must pay tribute to the originator of this fab recipe! The original recipe is here which has been altered quite a few times and no wonder -its an amazingly easy-to-throw-together-dish and simply beautiful.
I mean, who would have ever thought that the bunch of tomatoes and a block of feta would become the next internet sensation? Why stop here? I would 100% try different combos of soft cheeses in this dish. If it melts, it’s gotta be good right?
This baked feta pasta recipe is super quick to make in the oven and tossed with the most irresistible, cheesy, garlicky tomato basil sauce. Feel free to add any extra proteins such as chicken or shrimp plus any veggies that you’d like too!
- 450 g pasta of your choice, I used spaghettini
- 1- 2 blocks @ingredients_by_saputo Feta Oregano
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of red chili pepper flakes
- 500 g cherry tomatoes, mixed colours if desired
- 2- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 7-8 fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- fresh oregano - optional
- 4 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- ½ small lemon
- microgreens, fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Pour some olive oil on the bottom of the baking dish. Place the whole feta block on top - feel free to use two blocks for a cheesier sauce. Sprinkle red chili pepper flakes over in the feta cheese. Pour more olive oil on top. Place the cherry tomatoes and minced garlic around the feta and roll it all around in oil. Grind some pepper and season with pinch of sea salt. Top cheese with a few fresh oregano leaves if desired.
- Bake at 400 F / 200 C for 35 minutes in the middle rack.
- Cook the pasta according to cooking instructions. Before the last two minutes of the pasta being ready, add the baby spinach leaves and remove ½ cup of the starchy pasta water. Once the pasta is cooked, drain well and set aside.
- Remove the baked feta and tomatoes from the oven then break up the feta a bit and mix with tomatoes. Mix in the pasta and spinach with the sauce with then add the chiffonade of basil leaves. Feel free to add some of the starchy pasta water to ensure that sauce sticks to the pasta nicely. Garnish with lemon zest, a good squeeze of lemon juice, microgreens, additional fresh pasta leaves and sprinkle with additional feta cheese if desired.